Working at Summerbridge
Who Are Our Teachers?
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Who Can Apply to Teach?
High school and college students who have completed their junior year in high school may apply to teach at Summerbridge. Applicants should be willing to commit to an eight-week program, including a week of training, six weeks of teaching, and one week of wrap-up. Each summer, Summerbridge selects teachers who demonstrate dedication, energy, organization, and leadership skills and display the desire to work with middle school students. With over 90% students of color, Summerbridge seeks teachers from diverse backgrounds who want to work in a diverse and inclusive community. Please visit the Breakthrough Collaborative for more information and to apply to teach. Teaching fellow applicants may apply to three affiliates across the country. Click on “Summerbridge San Francisco” to apply to our site.
What Are the Commitments and Responsibilities?
Summerbridge is a full-time job, and it is very difficult to have commitments outside the program. Summerbridge teachers are expected to:
- Teach two academic classes and one elective class (5–8 students per class);
- Implement the curriculum for each of these classes, under the guidance of their instructional coach;
- Contribute to their academic departments in collegial and collaborative ways;
- Serve on several program committees that plan and administer various aspects and events of the program (e.g. Olympics, College & Career Day, Celebration);
- Demonstrate leadership, motivation, and responsibility;
- Commit to working with a diverse population of teachers and students and to making the program inclusive and safe for the entire community;
- Evaluate student work and progress throughout the course of the summer;
- Evaluate the program and personal performance at the end of the summer;
- Commit to ongoing reflection and support of the program and students;
- Abstain from drugs and alcohol during the program;
- Contribute to the life, spirit, and community of the Summerbridge Program.
Instructional Coaches are experienced and successful professional educators who provide content-specific support and mentoring for Summerbridge's Teaching Fellow by:
- Engaging fully in the Summerbridge San Francisco community;
- Leading and/or participate in professional development meetings, grade-level Professional Learning Community (PLCs);
- Observing classes;
- Evaluating lesson plans;
- Meeting frequently with individual Teaching Fellows regarding their on-going work.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES AT SUMMERBRIDGE:
Summerbridge is hiring professional teachers as Instructional Coaches who support our Teaching Fellows. Click here to apply.
Click here to find out more about working with us as a Teaching Fellow. Applicants may apply to three affiliates across the country. Click on “Summerbridge San Francisco” to apply to our site.
INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING?
We need Summerbridge volunteers, too! Contact us to find out what it takes.